At present the palace is the council hall of the region council. Through the centuries various royal families used it as their residence - from Castruccio Castracani at the beginning of the 1300 century, to Maria Luisa di Borbone - in the first half of the 1800 century.
The Pfanner palace in Lucca is undoubtedly one of the most spectacular royal residences of the 16 century. Its exquisite garden up to today remains one of the rare baroque style examples in the region. At present the palace hosts the exhibition of the court costumes of Lucca of the 17 and 18 centuries.
In 1492 the Republic of Lucca organized the construction of the City council and its offices. The task was assigned to the architect Matteo Civitali - who was to start the work, finished by his sons after his death. At present the building is occupied by Magistrate's court - maintaining intact all its Renaissance lines, and presenting itself as a typical public palace of the fourteenth century (two stories, the lower of which is opened and equipped with a gallery to host the meetings, and the moldings typical of a Renaissance palace).
Built around the end of the 1500, it is a typical palace in Roman-Gothic style. Thanks to its height - more than 40 meters - the tower offers the opportunity to admire the amazing panorama of the city of Lucca.
Situated in the Fillungo street - one of the main streets of Lucca - this is the tallest tower of the city; its clock is active since 1390. After climbing the 207 steps of the stairs to the peak to admire the panorama of the city of Lucca and the surrounding mountains, it is possible to observe the eighteenth-century manually wound clockwork of the public clock, which is one of the most interesting, and still functioning specimens in Europe.
The main part of the Mansi palace - that can be characterized by its austere forms, typical for the Lucca of those days - was constructed in 1500. The palace distinguishes itself not through its external architectural qualities, but mostly through its magnificent interiors. In order to make it luxurious, the family of Mansi adorned the palace with fresco paintings, exquisite furniture - and a picture gallery, containing also works of Italian and Fleming painters of the 15 century.